Friday, July 30, 2010

Cave Worms


Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!


Every once in a while at JibJab a few of us get to collaborate on an offbeat little personal project. Cave Worms was one of the recent projects that I made with my good buddy and master puppeteer Mike Chiechi. Our friend Alan Cook filmed and photographed the short and Devin Bell consulted us quite a bit on the fabricating process. It's a rather strange addition to the Jibjab library, but I find it's quirkiness pretty charming. Mike and me describe it as our David Lynch style ecard for JibJab.

Here's the visual development work I made for the project.



I crafted the underground set piece out of Paper Mache and lots and lots of clay and sculpey. I wanted it to feel like an old Peter Gabriel claymation video.

Photobucket


Alan did a nice job lighting this guy as well.

Although that's me holding the puppet for a lighting test, Mike did all the puppeteering. The guy is a puppet wizard!

Photobucket


Photobucket

Here's the miniature cityscape I made. I used X-Mas lights to create the glow of the windows and it really added to the Ed Wood charm of the whole set piece. Again, Alan did a very nice job photographing it.

Photobucket

In all it was a really fun project to work on. Fine work Mike and Alan!

--Justin

6 comments:

Bill Robinson said...

Dude this is AWESOME. Then again, I am a sucker for anything with puppets. But really, it looks great. It was also great seeing ya at Comic Con again this year, hope you had a good time.

Chris Dacol said...

FReaking Amazing!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is super cool. I love the way it looks and and final product is so adorable. Thank you, thank you, thank youuuu.... ha!

IZA said...

This is Really Awesome man! Great!!!!

Moro Rogers said...

I would like to get a thank you card like that.

Rob Chandler said...

I love this so much.

So much.

Thank you.